Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Keeper Shelf - Part One (category romance)

I used to be a hoarder and keep absolutely EVERY book I've ever bought, but now, I'm more ruthless because my book collection got simply ridiculous and we've moved around a lot. Removalists (and husbands) get cranky having to cart around heavy book boxes. Go figure!

Anyway, I was sad to throw many of my massive collection of Mills & Boon novels away - some I gave to my mother-in-law who is an avid fan too :) But there are a few category novels that will stay with me until they pack ME up in a box and no doubt my boys will have to decide what to do with mum's tatty old books. These are the novels that I plan on rereading one day when I have OODLES AND OODLES of time (of which I don't right now).

Here's my Mills & Boon Keeper List:

  • The Magnate's Indecent Proposal - by Ally Blake - possibly my favourite category book of all time. I will NEVER loan this out and DIE if I lose it. 
  • The Secret Life of Lady Gabriella - by Liz Fielding
  • Molly Cooper's Dream Date - by Barbara Hannay
  • Wife For A Week - by Kelly Hunter
  • Take On Me - by Sarah Mayberry
  • The Princes of the Outback series - by Bronwyn Jameson
  • In McGillivray's Bed - by Anne McAllister
  • Breakfast AT Giovanni's - by Kate Hardy
  • Oh-So-Sensible Secretary - by Jessica Hart
  • Hot-Shot Tycoon, Indecent Proposal - by Heidi Rice
I get excited just typing these titles.

In the next few days I'll do a post about my keeper single title books but first, if you read Mills & Boon, I'd love to hear some of your keepers and if not, I dare you to track down one of these titles and have a read :)

13 comments:

Helene Young said...

Anything by Barb Hannay, Kelly Hunter or Bron Jameson makes it to my keepers list :)

Natalie said...

I'll definitely tracking some of these down. Top of my list for favourite category would have to be Nikki and the Lone Wolf by Marion Lennox. Heart of a Hero by Barbara Wallace up there, too.

Rachael Johns said...

I don't think it's a coincidence Helene, that we both have those three fabulous writers and ladies on our lists :)

Rachael Johns said...

Ooh I haven't read either of those Natalie!!! But have heard other people mention their fabulousness so will have to jot them down too :)

Cathryn Hein said...

I'm not a big Mills and Boon reader at all, but I adore Bronwyn Jameson's books.

Think I may have to read the Ally Blake though. That's a pretty big rap you gave it!

Helen Lacey said...

Gawd! Fancy asking that question to someone who's been reading M&B's since she was eleven. I despair when I have to clean out the titles and give to good will. But my keepers - ha, they go where I go.
Leopard in The Snow by Anne Mather
Dark Illusion by Patrica Wilson
Reckless By Ruth Wind
Baby I'm Yours By Karen Templeton
The Color Of Midnight By Robyn Donald
The Stephanos Marriage By Helen Bianchin.
I will never part with them. Ever. LOL.
Great post Rach!

Joanne Dannon said...

Fab post Rach!

Yes, I've got a few of your keepers on my shelf too!!!

I've recently donated heaps of my HMB books but kept a number as I just couldn't part with them.

Thank goodness for my kindle/ipad so now I can keep as many books as I want with out the clutter - hooray!

test said...

I loved Oh So Sensible Secretary too! One of my favourites.

Maria said...

I always buy (or try to):

Kate Walker
Liz Fielding
Abby Green
Trish Wylie
Maisey Yates

and others too.

I keep them all! But I do loan them to trusted friends.

Louise Reynolds said...

Great topic, Rach!
OK, here are mine:
The Best Laid Plans - Sarah Mayberry
Her Surprise Hero - Abby Gaines
The Secret Life Of Lady Gabriella - Liz Fielding
Last Minute Proposal - Jessica Hart
Reunited: Marriage In A Million - Liz Fielding
Her Cattleman Boss - Barbara Hannay
Outback Boss, City Bride - Jessica Hart.
Fantastic reads, all of them :-)

Louise Reynolds said...

ooh, forgot...all of Joan Kilby's Summerside series.

Paula Roe said...

Hi Rach!

I don't read a lot of category anymore (a bit too close to home!) but I have a few keepers:
- City Girl on Training by Liz Fielding - fun, cute and told in first person. loved it!
- Colorado Christmas by CC Coburn - reminds me of Doc Hollywood with great characters . I love small town US stories
- Bron Jameson's Addicted to Nick. Such a romantic story!
Also have to admit the Diamonds Down Under Desire series is a total keeper for me :-)

Paula Roe said...

errr, that should be City Girl IN Training. Stupid autocorrect!